Monday, November 30, 2015

Volunteer Story, by Gretchen Woelfle



Fun and Games in Kenya


People have adopted a solemn tone when asking me about my Kenya PINCC adventure.  They tend to be surprised when I say, “It was really fun!”  I think they expected “difficult” or “eye-opening” or “inspiring.” But my first reaction has been “fun”  -- and I’m quick to elaborate.

It was a new experience for non-medical me to work with a great team of American doctors and nurses, hearing their stories and watching them teach their African colleagues to screen for cervical cancer and treat abnormal results. Never before had I supplied and check all the curious bits and pieces they needed each day in the examination rooms. I even enjoyed the five-step process of washing speculums.

But best of all were my interactions with patients: interviewing the English-speaking patients who came for screening – nearly all for the first time ever – and comforting them during their exams and treatments.  I viewed a few cervixes, even a frozen one during cryotherapy. I used illustrated charts to explain to patients about HPV, testing, etc., and I learned the results of the exams when I entered the data into our computer.

Getting a glimpse of Kenyan village life, walking down roads and lanes past small homesteads in the early evenings while attracting a Pied Piper-esque entourage of children, seeing the local medical staff beam as they received their PINCC certifications to continue our work – it was all part of the fun.

I spent two evenings speaking to several groups of schoolchildren in Nyabondo.  Two overflowing classrooms of girls listened enthusiastically as I talked about my work as a children’s author.  After I read my latest book, Mumbet’s Declaration of Independence, about an 18th century Massachusetts slave who won her freedom, they had good comments and questions.  And I was mobbed in a most friendly way when I stood among them for a photo op.  The next evening I gave a similar presentation to a group of ten boys in the Rehabilitation Centre, a home for disabled young people. These were thrilling experiences that added to my sense of fun during the two weeks.

And the games: Carol Cruikshank, our program director, led those most days, culminating in a wild balloon popping session on our final day. Yes, Kenya with PINCC was eye-opening and inspiring, and occasionally a bit difficult, but the pure pleasure of the work surprised and delighted me.

 by Gretchen Woelfle


No comments:

Post a Comment